Work is underway to return one of NSW’s earliest war memorials and landmarks, the ANZAC Obelisk, to its home in Moore Park.
After undergoing conservation work and a recent refurbishment by the NSW Government, the Obelisk will be reinstated to a new permanent home, in Moore Park East.
History of the ANZAC Obelisk
The ANZAC Obelisk was constructed in 1917 to memorialise those who served from New South Wales during the Great War (World War I) and to mark the renaming of ‘Randwick Road’ to the now famous ‘Anzac Parade’.
For 81 years the Obelisk stood proud at the northern end of Anzac Parade before it was relocated to the median of Anzac Parade during the construction of the Eastern Distributor in 1998. In 2014, the Albert “Tibby” Cotter Walkway at Moore Park project commenced, prompting another relocation.
Why is it important?
The Obelisk is a strong reminder of the Great War and the impact it had on the Australian people and in particular New South Wales. The memorial commemorates the departure of soldiers from the nearby barracks in Kensington as early as 1914.
It was erected in 1917 to coincide with the renaming of Randwick Road to Anzac Parade. The Obelisk has historic significance to NSW and is also of associative, aesthetic, social and representative significance. Despite having been relocated previously it has retained its contextual association with Anzac Parade.
Where will it be located?
We have worked closely with Roads and Maritime Services, Returned and Services League of Australia (NSW) and the City of Sydney to determine the right location for the Obelisk in Moore Park. A new site has been chosen following stakeholder engagement and heritage analysis of 10 possible sites.
The location provides an improved setting for the Obelisk, allowing for the reinstatement of an appropriate landscape setting and provides a strong opportunity for public access and interpretation.
Work is now underway to build a new footing for the Obelisk, installing paving, bollards and lighting as well as lanterns which were built as replicas of the original gas powered lanterns. A CCTV camera will be located nearby to improve security in the park and at the memorial.
Works will be completed in March 2017 in time for the Obelisk’s centenary celebrations.
The project is managed by Roads and Maritime Services. If you have any questions, please call the project team on 1800 677 700 or email email@example.com. For more information on our projects, visit rms.nsw.gov.au.