The residence is a single storey sandstone building with a slate roof, timber floors and corrugated iron verandah. In 1907, well-known Government Architect Walter Vernon directed the construction of an additional sandstone bedroom and weatherboard bathroom on the southeast corner of the Residence (Vernon also designed the Shelter Pavilion that stands beside Duck Pond in Centennial Park).
In 1922, a sum approaching £200 was spent on repairs, as white ants had done considerable damage. Doors had to be taken out and floors renewed. The following year, the lodge was connected to the sewer.
In 1940, a program of work was implemented by the Department of Agriculture using unemployment relief to address deteriorating paintwork on internal and external woodwork and mouldings, much of which was found to be rotten.
According to historical files maintained by Centennial Parklands, white ant infestation of the Residence continued to be a problem in the 1950s and following an inspection in 1954, the whole of the top section of the roof over the dining room (described as a ‘pole plate’ roof), including the wall and pole plates, ceiling joists, hips, creepers, rafters and sarking were treated. he original roof was reslated in 1964, and again in 1999 following a severe hailstorm.
The Superintendents Residence was occupied by more than just Park Superintendents.
Gardeners, labourers, foremen and Park rangers lived there from time to time. From 1993 to 1995 it was occupied by Park Administration. Conservation works began in 2001 to protect the building’s significant heritage features before it was opened to the public for the first time.
The building then acted as the Parklands' Visitor Information Centre until the establishment of the new visitor information counter adjacent to the Centennial Parklands Restaurant.
Today the residence is used primarily as a wedding and event space and the Parklands is committed to ensuring that this historic building is maintained for generations to come.