An exciting new era for E.S. Marks Athletics Field
The 115-year-old venue has been upgraded to ensure it can continue to be an important community sporting precinct for the hundreds of thousands of athletes who use it each year.
This is a heavily used venue with regular school carnivals, public open nights and large group attendance. The upgrades are a key deliverable of the Moore Park Masterplan 2040 (Moore Park 2040) and ensure the safety and longevity of this well-loved facility.
Project: E.S. Marks Athletics Field upgrade
Location: Boronia Street and Anzac Parade Kensington
Project delivery: 10 January 2022 to December 2022 (completed)
Project owner: Greater Sydney Parklands
Modified Access: We were fortunate to be able to provide early access to E.S. Marks from Monday 27 June, with necessary modified access arrangements implemented until major upgrades were completed.
The upgrade give E.S. Marks a new lease of life and improve amenity and safety for patrons and spectactors. The upgrade delivered:
- A World Athletics certifed 400 metre synthetic track
- Revamped high jump and long jump areas
- Improved vista to the track with the partial demolition of the southern grandstand
- New ticket booth and storage sheds
- Better amenity with 15 new trees and extensive landscaping
- Reduced congestion on Boronia Street with a new driveway, dedicated bus pick up and drop off zone and 14 new parking spaces
Lighting of E.S. Marks Field
New lighting was installed to improve safe access and usage throughout the year. Athletic areas and sports fields are now covered, providing the opportunity for night time competition.
The new sports lighting has a LUX* and timer control system to save energy and reduce overall lighting levels, to minimise impacts on nearby residents. 100LUX will be switched on in the evenings for training purposes (this LUX is used for most recreational sports fields) and 200LUX will be used for competition matches. The latest training evenings and competitions go for is 9:30pm. To give patrons time to safely depart, the lights may remain on until 10pm.
A lighting design and impact assessment has been conducted by a reputable, market-leading, Australian lighting company. The new venue lighting complies with all current Australian Standards.
* Lumens is a measure of light leaving a light source. The higher the lumen rating the “brighter” the lamp will appear. Lux refers to light that hits a surface. 1 lux is equal to 1 lumen per square metre.
How it looks now