There is a row planting of Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) along Driver Avenue; and a double formal avenue of Canary Island Date Palms (Phoenix canariensis) to the south of the lake.
The water body was named Lake Kippax in 1888 in honour of William Kippax (a former city alderman from 1863-1889).
This area was once known as Billy Goat Swamp. The original swamp was converted into a pond and lined with concrete to ensure the water would not drain away. The water edges have been transformed from a natural soft edge to a hard-paved edge with a more urban character.
The lake features a fountain and sculpture, designed by Diana Hunt, and dedicated to Australian sportswomen. The central sculpture was erected in 1967.
Kippax Lake provides a habitat for aquatic birds. Commonly sighted birds include Black Swan, Hardhead, Pacific Black Duck, Australasian Grebe, Eurasian Coot, and Ibis. A nesting pontoon for Black swans was installed in Kippax Lake in Dec 2015.