The statue of Sir Henry Parkes was a memorial sculpture placed in the park in 1897.
It remained in Centennial Park until 1970, when it removed for storage following damage by vandals. The 1971 vandalism in fact led to a major assessment of the sculptures in the Park, and ultimately the removal for safe-keeping of any sculptures that were likely to be subject to similar attacks of vandalism.
A bronze sculpture by the sculptor Alan Somerville replaced the previous Sir Henry Parkes figure. It is located on the original sandstone pedestal.
The sculpture was unveiled by then NSW Premier, the Hon Bob Carr, on 27 April 1996 to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the death of Sir Henry Parkes. A bronze commemorative plaque is located alongside the sculpture.