All eight sets of entrance gates into Centennial Park were built between 1887 and 1900.
Located on the corner Oxford Street and Lang Road, Paddington Gates – with their massive carved stone pillars and ornate design - are the most imposing. These gates were built for the park’s official dedication in 1888.
They were reputedly desigend by Louis Robertson, architect working in the Government Architect’s office under W.L Vernon, and constructed by Loveridge & Hudson, Stone masons.
They are sandstone and cast iron gates consisting of five columns. A plaque on the street-side of the gates celebrates this event. Work on the cast-iron fence surrounding the Park also commenced in 1888.
Woollahra Gate, located at the end of Ocean Street, was dedicated in 1888.
The gate was designed by Government Architect, W.L Vernon and constructed by Loveridge & Hudson, Stone masons.
Similar to the Paddington Gates, they are sandstone gates consisting of a five column design.
Randwick Gate, located on Darley Road, dates c.1891. They were designed by Government Architect, W.L Vernon, with the design of five sandstone columns with cast iron gates.
'Centennial Park 1888' is written on central column.
Other Gates in Centennial Park
There are a number of other historic sandstone gates around Centennial Park ating from the same era, including at Robertson Road, York Road, Govett Street and Jervois Avenue, as well as a number of pedestrian gates with sandstone plinths.
A tall, ornate, sandstone gateway at Moore Park (now on the corner of Anzac Parade and Moore Park Road) was erected to mark the Park’s opening in 1869.