Outdoor Stories celebrates the benefits of taking children outside for English and literacy lessons. In this 2 hour professional development course, our Centennial Parkland Educators will give teachers the skills and confidence to take their students outdoors and optimise their learning opportunities in the areas of oral language skills, social interactions, the use of descriptive language and communication in the outdoors. Children have the opportunity to develop a heightened understanding through imagination, play and immersion.
Delivered by Centennial Parklands Education Staff in our outdoor classroom, this program will be held mostly outside. Learning in authentic environments like the outdoor classroom at Centennial Park foster students sense of wonder and expand their natural curiosity, and thus builds their oral skills, feeds their imagination, creates a sense of wonder for the outdoors through English and literacy skill development.
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The benefits of outdoor learning/nature play for literacy education with primary school students
- How to establish an outdoor classroom to teach English content and skills
- Activities for outdoor learning that can be linked to the English K-6 Syllabus content
- Outdoor storytelling skills and lesson ideas e.g. tools, movement, generating stories
- Interactive nature play activities based on picture books
- How to develop vocabulary and writing as a result of outdoor stories.
Completing the Outdoor Stories Professional Development course will contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum addressing standard descriptor 2.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Dates: Wednesday 21st September
Time: 4pm - 6pm
Location: Online via Zoom
Enquiries: 02 9339 6645 or email our education team.
Please check our Covid-19 Safety Plan before booking.
Do not attend our programs, if
- You show any COVID-19 symptoms or feel unwell
- You have returned a positive Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) or Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test
- You have been asked to self-isolate
Please follow the NSW Health COVID-19 testing and self-isolating Health Order advice. We will refund your ticket if you or your child are not able to attend due to any of the above reasons.
Terms and conditions
Covid-19 Safety Plan