Outdoor Stories celebrates the benefits of taking children outside for English and literacy lessons. In this 2 hour professional development course, our Centennial Parkland Educators will give teachers the skills and confidence to take their students outdoors and optimise their learning opportunities in the areas of oral language skills, social interactions, the use of descriptive language and communication in the outdoors. Children have the opportunity to develop a heightened understanding through imagination, play and immersion.
Delivered by Centennial Parklands Education Staff in our outdoor classroom, this program will be held mostly outside. Learning in authentic environments like the outdoor classroom at Centennial Park foster students sense of wonder and expand their natural curiosity, and thus builds their oral skills, feeds their imagination, creates a sense of wonder for the outdoors through English and literacy skill development.
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The benefits of outdoor learning/nature play for literacy education with primary school students
- How to establish an outdoor classroom to teach English content and skills
- Activities for outdoor learning that can be linked to the English K-6 Syllabus content
- Outdoor storytelling skills and lesson ideas e.g. tools, movement, generating stories
- Interactive nature play activities based on picture books
- How to develop vocabulary and writing as a result of outdoor stories.
Completing the Outdoor Stories Professional Development course will contribute 2 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum addressing standard descriptor 2.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
We are taking our Professional Development Courses on the Road:
Our Greater Sydney Parklands educators are bringing our professional development courses to your school, early childhood centre or local green space. We are seeking expressions of interest to deliver either our full-day 5 hour NESA accredited Introduction to Outdoor Learning, Bush School and Nature Play program, or 2 hour NESA accredited Science and Geography curriculum options.
Contact us for more information and to discuss your needs - firstname.lastname@example.org