Sydney Water is facilitating infrastructure upgrades to water pump stations across Sydney. There is a water pump station located near Centennial Park on Carrington Drive that has been identified as one of the stations that requires an upgrade. The pump was built in 1964 and due to the age of equipment needs essential maintenance to ensure the reliability of the local water supply.
The objective is to maintain the current and future operational capability and level of service of the pump station by replacing the current assets. The new system will be installed in accordance with the current NSW Service and Installation Rules.
Work will involve:
- Installing a new electrical substation (Ausgrid green box) adjacent to the pump station
- Removing the existing electrical equipment and security fencing at the rear of the pump station
- Locating and replacing the 11kv electrical conduit, which will require trenching along the path of the existing conduit
- Site set-up within Centennial Parklands
- Restoring the site to pre-construction condition
For the safety of both the crew and park users, there will be a traffic management plan in place on 23 May 2018 during hours of operation of 7.00 am to 6.00 pm. Every effort will be made to limit the impact on vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.
This plan includes:
- A maximum of eight crew members expected on site at any one time.
- Where possible, construction vehicles will park on the pump station driveway. Some parking will however be required along Carrington Drive opposite the pump station.
- All vehicles will enter and exit Centennial Parkland through either the Woollahara Gates or Paddington Gates.
- Deliveries will be scheduled to avoid peak park usage hours (early morning and late afternoon).
- Traffic management and signage will be in place to safely guide park users around the worksite and inform them of the work.
Any issues on site on the day please call the Parklands' Rangers on 0412 718 611.