Snapshot

  • Self-guided Walks


    Staying fit and healthy is just a walk in the Park! Download our free Centennial Park walking apps - available for Apple and Android smartphones. More info and download links here.

  • Swamp Closures


    Lachlan Swamp will close on days above 36C to minimise disturbance to the Flying Foxes. There will be no access to visitors.

  • Centennial Park History Book


    Our great new book on the history of Centennial Park is now on sale, and can be ordered online. Great gift idea. More info.

print Resize Text SmallerResize Text Larger

Centennial Park's Sandstone Gates

Paddington Gates - dressed up for Centenary of FederationAll eight sets of entrance gates into Centennial Park were built between 1887 and 1900.

Paddington Gates

Located on the corner Oxford St and Lang Rd, Paddington Gates - with their massive carved stone pillars and ornate design - are the most imposing. These gates were built for the park’s official dedication in 1888.

They were reputedly desigend by Louis Robertson, architect working in the Government Architect’s office under W.L Vernon, and constructed by Loveridge & Hudson, Stone masons.

They are sandstone and cast iron gates consisting of five columns. A plaque on the street-side of the gates celebrates this event. Work on the cast-iron fence surrounding the Park also commenced in 1888.

Woollahra Gate

Woollahra Gate, located at end Ocean Street, was dedicated in 1888.

The gate was designed by Government Architect, W.L Vernon and constructed by Loveridge & Hudson, Stone masons.

Similar to the Paddington Gates, they are sandstone gates consisting of a five column design.

Randwick Gates 

Randwick Gate, located on Darley Road, dates circa.1891. They were designed by Government Architect, W.L Vernon, with the design of five sandstone columns with cast iron gates.

“Centennial Park 1888” is written on central column.

Other Gates

There are a number of other historic sandstone gates around Centennial Park ating from the same era, including at Robertson Road, York Road, Govett Street and Jervois Avenue, as well as a number of pedestrian gates with sandstone plinths. 

A tall, ornate, sandstone gateway at Moore Park (now on the corner of Anzac Parade and Moore Park Road) was erected to mark the Park’s opening in 1869.